Boosting the immune system

Have you had HPV for more than 6 months? This is a place to talk about it with others.

Moderator: moldy

Boosting the immune system

Postby rogue4 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:59 pm

Just a little vent here. After finding this forum, I've read a lot about people boosting their immune system to fight the virus off. I'm kind of peturbed that the same thing wasn't suggested to me. I'm a very overweight woman at 300lbs. Had it been made more clear to me that if I boost my immunity, the better chance I have to fight this thing off. I would've taken vitamins, and also tried to lose some weight. Including changing my diet. Now here I am, almost a year later (end of April 2006 when I had my pap, and later got diagnoised), and feel like that my next test won't be pretty. For those who didn't read my last posting, I had gone back in Oct 2006 for a follow-up pap. Turned out that the results were no different, BUT luckily for me, it also hadn't gotten worse. Still the same. I'm hoping March will find better results.

Has anyone here kicked this at about a year, or even under? Where you went six months later, still had it, but went another 5/6 months later after that, and the pap was fine?

Anyone here have HPV without the GW?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to understand better. I'm a worrier by nature...a glass half empty person.

Thanks for letting me ramble. :oops:
rogue4
Super H-elper
Super H-elper

Postby bflwc » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:29 pm

I found out in February 2006 that I had an abnormal pap (LSIL). In August 2006 I had two separate paps: one was ASCUS and one was normal. I had a colposcopy and biopsy and they came back normal.

I also had genital warts that appeared in March 2006 and were gone by June/July 2006 using cryotherapy.

I don't know if I have two strains (low- and high-risk) or one strain (low-risk). I just know that I didn't do anything special. Took a multivitamin when I remembered. Had a nervous breakdown unrelated to HPV. Maybe I got lucky, but my body has served me well.
bflwc
Super H-ero!
Super H-ero!

Postby brea » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:31 pm

i was diagnosed w/HPV and GW in 2000. I had lazer surgery in 2001, no reoccurences of warts. For some reason I thought the HPV was gone too, but I got a HPV test done in 2005...it was positive. I've been taking a natural supplement to rid the HPV for almost a year. I'm going in for another HPV test next week. Hopefully it will be negative.
brea
New User
New User

Postby soul skin » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm

[b]Rogue, I appreciated your response to me a few weeks ago.

I have been diagnosed w/HPV since July 2006. I was told I had high & low risk. The doctor performed the vinegar test (forget how to spell the procedure) and did not see anything in vaginal area. A week Thursday I had another pap. Still waiting on outcome. I think I am being a Pollyanna believing it might be gone. Dr. and nurse told me they now believe it never goes away; can become dormant; and can come back. I too have not been paying enough attention to my immune system. I smoke and need to quit. I take a multivitamin over the counter but plan to go to a health food store and buy a natural one. A wholistic doctor recently told me that regular vitamins like One A Day are not that effective.

I too have not broken out with GW's. It has been 7 months.

Hope this helps.
[/b]
soul skin
H-elper
H-elper

Postby michelley » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:34 pm

i saw a nutritionist who said that research show that vitamins (including multivitamins) don't vary much in effectiveness, that cheap/ generic ones are just as effective as expensive or "natural" brands. remember, at least in the US, this stuff is strictly regulated. for example 400mcg folic acid is the same whether it's organic or made in a lab.

it's herbal supplements, like echinacea, that you have to be more careful with - since they aren't standardized by an official agency it's often hard to determine potency and purity. if you live in germany it's a different story, so lucky you ;) .
michelley
H-ero!
H-ero!

Nutrition suggestions

Postby Metamorph » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:34 pm

As a graduate student in nutrition, I feel compelled to share with you all that fruits and vegetables and other food in its natural state provides you with the best nutrition. I am by no means an expert on how nutrients effect immunity, but I do have some broad knowledge in this area.

Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables: You've heard it before. Still, as more scientific studies are conducted, increasingly, researchers are finding that fruits and vegetables offer us great benefits. They provide us with plenty of vitamins and minerals (important to keep it varied as different fruits and vegetables are better sources of different vitamins and minerals). And, they are in an easy to absorb form for our bodies.

Supplements are OK: Supplements provide us with a quick and easy way to get our daily vitamins and minerals. Still, they are more expensive than the good old, fruits and veggies and they are not absorbed as efficiently by our bodies. Next, a lot of supplements provide you with 100% of your daily vitamin and mineral needs - if you meet 100% of your body's vitamin needs, you will either pee out the rest or store it in excess (depends on whether the vitamin is water or fat soluble/dissolvable), both of these which may have associated negative side effects.

Energy/calories: Your body requires a certain amount of calories for its basic functioning. When your immune system is compromised or "challenged," it requires extra calories and nutrients to function well. This is not to say that eating in excess boosts your immune system; to the contrary, studies note that a low calorie diet in which individuls still get their necessary vitamins and minerals, the immune response is boosted.

Protein: The most common cause of immunosuppression worldwide is protein (Ritz and Gardner, 2006 from The Journal of Nutrition). The proteins that we eat are broken down and then built into components of our immune cells/ cells that mediate the immune response. This means that not getting enough protein will result in fewer immune cells and also less effective functioning of immune cells - think about it - do you perform at your best when you feel starved?

Specific nutrients that contribute to immunity: vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin A, Zinc, vitamin B6, folic acid, and pyridoxine (Chandra and Kumari, 1994 from the Journal of Nutrition) and others that are being discovered and investigated. In general, meeting recommended levels of vitamins and minerals will boost you immune response: each specific nutrient has a particular influence on immunity. For example, vitamins E, C, and A are known for their antioxidative effects that protect your immune (and other) cells from being damaged. Getting sufficient amounts of your vitamins and minerals is important to immunity, but getting any of them in excess will not improve your immune response.

I hope that this makes sense and is helpful in some way to you. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
The deepest thing in our nature is this region of the heart in which we dwell alone with our willingnesses and our unwillingnesses, our faiths and our fears. -- William James
Metamorph
New User
New User

Postby carpediem111 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:53 pm

Thanks for the advice metamorph, good post. Since you are a graduate student in nutrition you maybe able to give me a little bit of advice regarding iron deficiency and anemia. I have it. I am talking iron pills 65mg x 4 per day. Alot I know. I have read up on it quite a bit but still am wondering about the typical rate at which iron is absorbed and stored by the body. Thanks a bunch if you can enlighten me.
carpediem111
Super H-elper
Super H-elper

Iron reccomendation

Postby Metamorph » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:17 pm

Hi carpediem,

I would use the DRI (dietary reference intake) as a reference point for you nutrition needs. As we are learning more about mineral absorption, we are learning that different individuals have different absorption capacities and also, the recommendation are based on sex and age, but don't include height or weight, so you may want to adjust this recommendation accordingly (that is, if you are a bit taller than average you may need slightly more iron than is recommended).

For a typical female 19-50, the DRI = 18 mg per day of iron. Also, the suggested upper limit, that is, the most a typical (non iron deficient) should have is 45 mg per day.

However, the recommendation for an adult who is anemic are much greater; about 200 mg per day. Your daily iron supplements provide 260 mg per day, which is pretty close. I would suggest getting checked regularly (as your doctor recommends) to check your iron stores in order to determine once you no longer need the extra supplementation. Regular iron checks will ensure that you are absorbing iron sufficiently from this tablet form and will prevent you from overloading on iron once your stores have been repleted.
Metamorph
New User
New User

Postby carpediem111 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:13 am

Thanks for the advice once again. Have had my blood recheck and my ferritin is in the low regular range. Yay. Going back in another three months for another check up.
carpediem111
Super H-elper
Super H-elper

Postby Andy_the_Banker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:50 pm

check our valacore, pretty cool product.
Andy_the_Banker
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Return to 6+ months with HPV