About oral warts and stuff....

Tell the community your story. How has HPV affected your life?

Moderator: moldy

About oral warts and stuff....

Postby Lefty » Thu May 31, 2007 7:14 pm

Ok, I am going to make this a seperate post, if ya'll don't mind. I am writing this in response to the posts about oral warts and the like. We all really get paranoid and freaky when we have GW and start checking our mouths, cuz of oral sex and whatever. So, I am a dental hygientist. I've been one for 9 years and was a dental assistant for 5 years before that. I have a BS in Health and know my crap when it comes to the oral cavity. So, to put anyone's mind at rest, of course, I'd recommend a visit to the MD or dentist to check whatever is in your mouth that is freaking you out.

In the meantime, here is a list of normal oral structres and common oral pathologies:

1). The bumps under your tongue, on either side is part of your Plica Sublingualis and Sublingual Caruncle. It is made up of the Warton's and Bartholin's salivary ducts. It is totally normal anatomy. Sometimes, those ducts can get clogged and a ranula or a mucocele can form. Ranulas are soft, blister like growths and mucoceles are hard, smaller round lumps. Both are common and may need an Oral surgeon to remove.

2.) There is a bump on either side of your mouth, up on your cheeks, on the inside, near your back, upper molars. That is your stenson's duct and a salivary gland. When a person gets mumps, that is the area that swells up.

3.) Fordyce granules are ectopic (malpositioned) sebaceous glands. In laymen's terms, they are small sweat glands on or inside your lips or cheeks. They can be very tiny little dots, usually yellow or white or cream colored. Many of them together will form a large patch. Again, totally fine.

4.) Your tongue is covered in little bumps called papilla. They are on the top and sides. The ones that are longer towards the back of your tongue can sometimes look like hairs. they are filiform papilla. The large, bumpy masses at the very back of your tongue are circumvallate papilla. Again, totally normal.

5.) Tonsils are on either side of your mouth, at the very back, near your throat. they hide between two "arches" of skin. Tonsils can be big or small. That can be totally normal. If they are painful, red or covered in white patches, you could have an infection (NOT WARTS), so see your MD.

6.) that hangy thing in the back of your throat is your Uvula. Totally normal.

COmmon pathologies are:

Candidiasis. This is basically a yeast infection in your mouth. You will need an anti-fungal drug to clear. It looks like white cheesy curds that you can rub off of your cheeks or tongue.

Lichen Planus. This is an autoimmune condition that needs to be diagnosed by a derm or dentist. Its usually treated with a steroid of some sort. It is not contagious!

Oral Herpes (cold sores). These occur on kerratinized tissue, which means your lips or "harder" tissues of your mouth. It is usually tingly, ulcerated sores that will last about 7-14 days. This IS contagious and can spread to other people's mouth and genitals, FYI. Be careful if you have an open weeping lesion! The virus sheds very easily. Some peeps are immune to this. Others get tons of cold sores in their life. Its commonly seen after stress or sun exposure.

Aphthous Ulcers. which are Canker sores. these are seen on non-keratinized tissue like the inside of cheeks and lips. They are not contagious and can be irritated with acid foods and abrasion to the area. They go away on their own, but severe cases can be treated with oral rinses. See your dentist.

Nicotene Stomatitis. These are tiny red bumps that form of the roof of the mouth due to excessive nicotene exposure.

Of course, there are other things, and this is not meant to diagnose anyone's conditions, but merely for educational purposes, so we don't have to freak that we may have GW in our mouths. Seriously, I have never even heard of a case and never even studied it in hygiene school. No dentist I ever worked for has ever mentioned it. If you are really concerned, tho, please contact an Oral Surgeon. Truly, they are the most qualified to diagnose your condition. They can also take biopsies if needed.

So, I hope this didn't sound preachy. I just wanted to help, if I could.

Brush and floss, too. :lol:

Edited to add:

New research in the dental fields is linking oral cancer to HPV for sure. However, oral warts are still extremely rare and not seen very often at all.
Last edited by Lefty on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'"
Lefty
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby bflwc » Thu May 31, 2007 7:52 pm

preachy...not at all! this post should be a sticky!!! great post. thanks for the lesson!!!
bflwc
Super H-ero!
Super H-ero!

Postby Exm » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:38 pm

Ooh, all very interesting. What good information. I wondered if I did have oral warts, or some such for a while. I realize it probably wasn't, but that was what I thought at the time. It was like a white ridgy skin that stuck off the side and front of my tongue. It hurt a lot and my bf noticed it when he was kissing me. Finally, after a week or so of pulling at it and frequent mouthwashing, it peeled off. Any ideas?? :?:
Exm
H-elper
H-elper

Postby Lefty » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:16 pm

hmmm...not sure, but if you bit your tongue accidently or in your sleep, you can form a sort of white callus that may "peel off". or you could have burned your tongue on something hot and it was the dead skin sloughing off.

If it went away, I wouldn't worry about it. That's a good thing. If it comes back, then see a dentist. Mouth sores and burns are very common. People always cut the roof of their mouth on tortilla chips and such and burn their mouths on coffee, chilli, pizza, you name it. The great thing is that wounds in the mouth heal very quickly because of the type of tissue that the oral cavity is made of. And its common for people not to even know or realize what might have caused a sore. You can get an inflamed papilla, which is just a little white bump on your tongue. That can be pretty sore and is usually caused by some sort of trauma.

Sorry that it hurt tho! Not cool I'm sure!
Lefty
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby dave_merk » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:31 am

Canker sores can start out as little bumps, can't they? I mean, we've all had those painful little ulcers, but I once had something like a tiny little white bump on the on the inside of my top lip and it hurt just like a canker sore. Went away in a few days and I never had another. They're not always just flat, round ulcers are they?
dave_merk
H-elper
H-elper

Postby Lefty » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:33 pm

usually canker sores are ulcerated sores, but other sores can take the form of tiny little bumps. They are usually caused by trauma ( like biting your lip) or a plugged salivary gland. Mucocele is the term used commonly when a little round bump is found on the underside of the tongue, or inside the lip or cheek. Bumps on the tongue, however, aren't ever mucoceles. I woul dhuess , without seeing it, that that's probably what you had.

The key here, is IF it goes AWAY! Then, you are usally fine. Bumps on the gums above a tooth can mean an abscess. That needs a dentist's attention.

Bumps that don't go away, get bigger, or are painful, should always be evaluated, for cysts, growths, etc.....
Lefty
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby bette76 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:04 pm

THank you SO MUCH for posting this!! I was just diagnosed with HPV last week, and don't have any warts that I can see - in fact, I have no symptoms at all, yet.

I have a throat issue that is worrying me,though, and hope you can help! For a while now I have noticed a little skin tag thing in the top of my throat, really close to the mouth area, near the bottom molar. I have it on the other side, too, but you can't see that one unless I move my tongue way down.

When I move my tongue down and to the side, the bump that is on my throat because a part of the chain of bumps that line the side of my tounge - it looks like part of them, which I believe are normal. When my tounge is in my mouth in a normal position, that one little skin tag thing appears to be in my throat instead of one the side of my tongue with the others.

Why would a normal tongue bump appear to be on my throat? I had a check-up about 3 weeks ago, and my doctor looked down my throat. She didn't even mention this bump and I didn't point it out because I wasn't worried about HPV at that time, didn't know I had it. Do you think this could be from HPV?? Or would it be normal to have a skin tag thing on your throat?

Can everyone look in their throats now and help me out? LOL My husband's throat is so smooth, so that doesn't help me! THanks.
bette76
New User
New User

Postby Lefty » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:09 pm

honestly, I can only tell you without seeing it, that people have TONS of weird bumps and tags in their mouths. Sometimes its just scar tissue from having a wisdon tooth pulled, other times its just normal anatomy. It can also be a "callous" or sorts, in response to biting or chewing or rubbing teeth on that soft tissue. Or it could just literally be some little excess skin in your mouth.

Some people have very smooth tongues, throats, etc, and others don't. I've seen a lot of mouths and there is a wide range of what's normal.

Seriously, I have never seen or heard of anyone who hasever seen an oral wart.

Its probably just your own personal anatomy and not to be gross, but its like how some women have larger, looser labial minora, etc.....

Everyone has differences. Some folks have freckles, others don't, some peeps get tissue tage, others don't. I really don't think that it is anything to be concerned about. You can always ask a doctor or dentist to look at it, but if you are embarrassed, you don't have to mention the words "oral Warts". You can just ask them what the bump is. I have patients ask me about their "bumps" all of the time. Its ok!

I am sure its nothing and you are just fine! Sorry about the HPV, tho!

But, as always, please ask a professional to look if it concerns you! After all, it it your health! :D
Lefty
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby queen bee » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:09 pm

I was looking up "oral warts" on this forum and just ran into this! Thanks so much for writing something like this, you helped me feel a LOT more calm about the "bump on either side of your mouth, up on your cheeks, on the inside, near your back, upper molars." I was totally freaking out, but thanks to your post I feel MUCH better!! I also thought i would reply for those who have not seen this post, and (hopefully) reduce their concerns about oral warts.
:D
queen bee
H-elps alot!
H-elps alot!

Postby Lefty » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:14 pm

my pleasure. :D
Lefty
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby irish_luck » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:31 pm

i feel like i have a pimple on the side of my tongue, could this be a wart or herpes?
irish_luck
New User
New User

Postby Lefty » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:57 pm

Highly unlikely, but you can always check with a doctor, tho!
Lefty
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby Lefty » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:07 pm

bump for GTO_Guy
Lefty
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby GTO_Guy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:51 pm

Good info here. Thanks :)
GTO_Guy
Super H-elper
Super H-elper

Postby wraith56 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:48 pm

Hey, I just wanted to ask a question. Over the last 2 years I noticed a lot of small bumps all over the roof of my mouth and my soft palate.I don't remember if I had them before and am just noticing them now. To see them, I usually need to hold a bright light at a certain angle to see the bumps. Any ideas as to what this may be? Thank you
wraith56
New User
New User

Next

Return to Personal Experiences - Let it all out!