warts on my gums?

Tell the community your story. How has HPV affected your life?

Moderator: moldy

warts on my gums?

Postby mariposa107 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:17 am

So since I was diagnosed with HPV I have been freaking out. Last night I was in the shower rehearsing how I am going to tell the guy I just starting seeing that I was diagnosed with genital warts. Then suddenly my gums on one side of my mouth hurt for a split second and then went completely numb. This prompted me to check my gums in the mirror. I have always had problems with my gums, at least once a year they get red and swollen, and no matter how hard I brush and floss they seem to always flare up at some point. I did noticed tiny little pumps in clusters on my upper gums and the whole area is red. Is it possible I have developed warts there? I googled warts on gums and didn't get anything. I only saw them on lips, check, and tounge. I'm going to schedule a dentist appointment but I'm not sure he will even know if they are or not. I don't have health insurance and as it is I spent $350 on Aldara $250 at the gyno and then another $300 this Thursday to get them burned off.

What's really freaking me out is that I was diagnosed the same week I started seeing this guy, and I haven't told him yet. I have taken every precaution and not slept with him because I don't want to spread it. But if it turns out I have it in my mouth we have already kissed and I've went down on him which means I've already spread it to him. Help! If anyone has any information if it can even infect your gums or am I just paraniod?
mariposa107
H-elper
H-elper

Postby hopeful1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:37 am

There was a thread a few weeks ago where we talked about oral hpv. It is REALLY rare. If it does happen it is generally in immune difficient individuals or those with HIV. The HIV forum site show pictures like this one: http://www.hivdent.org/_picturegallery_/HPV80.htm

Those show oral HPV on gums. DO NOT freak out though. There are tons of reasons for bumps in the mouth. There have been threads of dental assistants who talk about other mouth conditions. If you brush too harshly your gums can be irritated so don't overdo your cleaning.

Keep us posted and good luck!
hopeful1
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby Overit » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:53 am

I would guess this is some other problem, you could have oral warts but checking this site and a few others out every once in awhile I have heard a lot of freaking out about oral warts with only 1 or 2 confirmed cases.

Like the comment above says it is VERY RARE, my guess is you are fine, but get a doctors opinion (probably a dentist). Good luck with the disclosure, I know it will be hard!
Overit
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby mariposa107 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:22 pm

I went to the dentist, just have gum disease.
mariposa107
H-elper
H-elper

Postby Andy_the_Banker » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:56 pm

wow, that was really creepy
Andy_the_Banker
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Return to Personal Experiences - Let it all out!