Both partners have HPV. Should we stop having sex?

Tell the community your story. How has HPV affected your life?

Moderator: moldy

Both partners have HPV. Should we stop having sex?

Postby jake » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:39 pm

Myself and my partner both have HPV. She has been received her first biopsy and the results were negative. She plans to continue with regular (every 3 mo) testing with her OBGYN to monitor all future development and avoid/treat all cancerous or pre-cancerous growths. Is it in her best interest to completely stop having sex all together?
jake
New User
New User

Postby chinarose » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:02 pm

Of course not. But I'd follow up on appointments and consult a professional or doctor on the matter and seriously consider getting your girl her vaccinations against HPV to prevent anything anyway. Just because you both have HPV and she's suddenly showing up negative does not mean you can't have a great sex life. Besides, even if she shows up as HPV negative or positive, there's a chance you could be carrying a completely different strain and probably one the vaccine guards against. Wish the best for you.

Good luck!
chinarose
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby jake » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:17 pm

Ok, my original post was a little unclear. We have been having an active sex life. Then she had Her pap smear come back abnormal. The doctor said she has a high-risk HPV strand that could potentially cause cervical cancer. Her "negative" result was with regard to cancer/pre-cancer cell testing (biopsy). She started the gardasil vaccination (1 of 3 injections so far). She will be going back regularly for testing to see if any cancer/pre-cancer cells develop and to finish her series of vaccination shots.

Where should our concerns lie with regard to our sex life? She believes that by not having sex she will help her reduce her risk of cervical cancer.

Being that I am a 24 year old male, with healthy sex drive, this concerns me a little. I enjoy being intimate with my girlfriend however I am prepared to stop having sex if it is in the best interest of her health.
Last edited by jake on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jake
New User
New User

Postby chinarose » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:28 pm

I was diagnosed with High Risk HPV as well but that shouldn't stop any woman from wanting to be intimate with her man. Although, with her taking the vaccinations, it would probably be best to wait until all 3 are completed just in case you carry one of the 4 strains it guards against. About not getting cervical cancer, with technology, things shouldn't progress into full fledged cervical cancer have-to-take-the-uterus kind of deal so long as she keeps on track of her appointments and remains healthy. Besides, her biopsy came back negative to precancerous cells, right? She shouldn't have anything to worry about.

By practicing abstinence, yeah, it'll reduce cancer. LOL but then again, if she's with only you, not a ton of guys, then she's just as fine. If you're really worried about it, consult a doctor and he could give a better answer. But there are tons women on here with High Risk HPV and have great sex lives.
chinarose
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby jake » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:53 pm

At the risk of sounding totally selfish, I want a sex life. I guess waiting till the vaccination process is completed is best though.
jake
New User
New User

Postby bflwc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:49 am

If you haven't already have sex...waiting until the vaccination process is complete is a good idea.

If you've already had sex, there is absolutely no reason for you to stop having sex. The vaccine doesn't protect against strains you already have and if you've been intimate and you have other strains that you aren't showing symptoms of, she probably has them too.

Abstaining now isn't going to protect her from developing cervical cancer. Keeping up with her paps is what will protect her from developing cervical cancer.

Perhaps she needs to do some research on her own about this virus so she can make her own educated conclusion about whether abstinence will help or not.
bflwc
Super H-ero!
Super H-ero!

Opposing view

Postby Anne » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:32 pm

From the opposing side.... I have some pain during sex with my BF and yes we already had sex but that seems to be the problem. I love my boyfreind very much and I just want to be healthy not just for me but for both of us. We waited the recommended 5 days after the biopsy to have sex, and that was even too long for him. I am just nervous bc technically there are cuts inside me from the Biospy right? Isnt it possible they may be open. I dont know if that is possible in there but if it is, then couldnt they get infected/irritated from intercourse. I am not saying we should never have sex again maybe just 2 weeks even. I dont understand why its such a big deal. If he loved me wouldnt he respect that. People dont have sex till there married im asking for two weeks. Sry shouldnt have gotten so personal but I just dont understand.
Anne
New User
New User

Postby bflwc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:05 pm

Post biopsy...wait as long as you need to feel comfortable and ease back into it. The 5 days is recommended, but by no means is it a maximum waiting time. Sex shouldn't be painful (unless you're into that).

There are other ways to be intimate and you may want to explore those with your boyfriend until you get back to a point where sex is enjoyable for both of you.

You aren't asking too much and maybe you should communicate with him the fact that your cervix is tender now.
Last edited by bflwc on Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bflwc
Super H-ero!
Super H-ero!

Postby wild_mango » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:41 pm

for the original poster: anything you have, she has at this point. The -virus doesn't do the ping-pong thing.. going back and forth from one person to another.. so since you've already had sex than there really isn't any risk. If she's uncomfortable with having sex because it causes her pain right now, than respect that.

for the other poster: your BF should respect your wishes and be understanding that it causes you PAIN to have sex! if he loves you he shouldn't want to do something that hurts you. As bflwc said, there are tons of other things that you can do that do not involve penitration... oral.. touching..mutual masterbation... have some fun and explore eachother!
wild_mango
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Return to Personal Experiences - Let it all out!